Prior to founding Leventhal Law, Leventhal was an attorney at two American Lawyer 100 firms – Kirkland & Ellis LLP and Cooley LLP – for nearly a decade. During his tenure at these firms, Leventhal successfully represented high-profile companies, such as eBay, GoWireless and Cooper Tire, in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. His practice spanned all areas of business litigation, including the defense of class actions, patent litigation, complex contract matters, and white collar defense. In addition, he functioned as an expert in advertising litigation, providing counsel and representation to firm clients across the country, as well as authoring several articles on the intersection of Internet advertising/communications and the law.
Leventhal previously served as an attorney in the White House. In his role as Deputy Assistant to the Vice President, his responsibilities included functioning as the final substantive control point before information reached the Vice President, managing complex policy and political issues, and representing the Vice President’s interests on all policy matters within the Administration. In this capacity, Leventhal had TS/SCI clearances and handled countless classified documents related to foreign and national security policy.
Leventhal received his JD, cum laude, from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was an editor of the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal. He remains active with Georgetown as an advisor to the Immigration Law Journal. He graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a degree in political science.
Leventhal’s experience includes achieving outstanding results for clients in all types of complex commercial litigation. A few of his legal achievements include:
- $17 million settlement won on behalf of a nonprofit, scientific institute against a pharmaceutical company in a three-judge AAA arbitration.
- Part of a team that scored a major trial victory in federal court on behalf of a former partner of a “Big Five” accounting firm – one of the first outside auditors in the post-Enron era to go to trial against allegations of direct collusion with corrupt management.
- Successful prosecution of patent infringement claims resulting in payments to his client in excess of $10 million.
- Successful litigation of a breach of contract case against DirecTV on behalf of a technology company that resulted in a significant payment to the client.
- Successful defense of an online media company in a defamation lawsuit brought by well-known boxing and mixed martial arts trainer, resulting in the court ordering the trainer to pay all of the defense’s attorney fees and costs.
- Defended multiple class action lawsuits against high-profile companies such as eBay and Provide Commerce that resulted in favorable settlements.
- Successfully defended a large mortgage company against a lawsuit alleging deceptive marketing practices, resulting in a negligible payment to the plaintiff.
- Successfully defeated a preliminary injunction motion that sought to shut down an organic produce grower that distributes to over 75% of the country’s supermarkets.
- Successfully defended an employee against his former company, which alleged that he stole trade secrets and violated his employment contract. Simultaneously avoided a preliminary injunction and obtained a preliminary injunction in dueling jurisdictions.
Community Involvement & Awards
- Commitment to Pro Bono Matters including:
- Involvement in national project assisting Holocaust survivors to apply for reparations from the German government
- Legal services to a nonprofit organization providing vocational training to wounded veterans
- Helping Hurricane Katrina victims navigate the FEMA process
- Award Recognition including:
- Top Attorney semi-finalist in the category of Corporate Litigation by the San Diego Daily Transcript (a ranking of San Diego County’s best lawyers)
- Multi-year recipient of the Wiley W. Manual pro bono award
- Industry Leadership including:
- Serving on the Federal Bar Association (FBA) San Diego Chapter’s Executive Committee
- Serving on the FBA’s national Government Relations Committee, where he advocates for the appointment of additional Article III judges among other issues affecting the federal courts
- Serving as a Lawyer Representative to the Southern District of California
- Past involvement with the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce’s public policy and legislative affairs committees
- Past member of the U.C. San Diego Alumni Association’s Board of Directors
- Member of the American Bar Association (ABA), ABA’s Forum Committee on Communications Law and San Diego County Bar Association
600 West Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101
firstname.lastname@example.org“Joe is an ace attorney with a heart of gold. I always felt confident in his expert advice. His high integrity helped produce the best result. I would highly recommend him to anyone.” — Gil Garza, Merck